Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fat Free Jalapeno Poppers

There is something about spicy food that warms me on a cold winter day and luckily it isn't heartburn. These Jalepeno Poppers were both easy and perfectly smoky thanks to the genius use of my leftover Smoked Cream Cheese.
I've actually made this recipe 2 times now. The first time it took about 12 steps. The second time I got it down to 6 steps. I've included my original steps as well as the extra stuff below.
I could ramble on in detail for awhile about how this recipe came to be...but instead I'll leave you with the important lessons:
1) Instructions are important.
2) Never underestimate the power of the pepper, or rapidly boiling water.
3) Apparently the sliced jalapeno peppers at Subway restaurants are milder than most.  (Who knew?)
4) My Smoked Cream Cheese is delicious and versatile and should be made on all cold winter days.


Hypo Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapenos
Prepared Smoked Cream Cheese
Whole wheat bread crumbs with Italian Seasoning
Olive Oil Spray

Step #1: PUT ON GLOVES.  I read the warnings before attempting this dish. There were plenty of people that talked about how important it was and how they wish they had done it. Did I listen? NO! Of course not, clearly I am tougher than all the people.
Step #2: Slice off top of pepper, then down the middle. Remove seeds.
Step #3: Add sliced peppers to boiling water for just a few minutes until they begin to soften.
Step #4: Remove peppers and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Step #5: Stuff cooled peppers with cream cheese. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and lightly spray with olive oil.
Step #6: Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

(skip to step #12 if you followed step #1)
          Step #7: Scrub hands with soap. 
          Step #8: Re-scrub hands after you accidentally touched your lips and you realize your lips are burning.
          Step #9: Scrub face and lips with WASH CLOTH, after previous attempts to
                         wash away the burn failed.
          Step #10: Remove poppers from oven and allow to rest for a moment while you
                        wash your hands and face another time.
          Step #11: Power through the burning hands, face and lips and enjoy with some fat free ranch.
                         Vow to never cook with jalapenos again.
Step #12: Enjoy with some fat free ranch. Remake a second batch for your friends.

Now the best part about this recipe is that each popper is only 20 calories and ZERO grams of fat.  I suppose you could go crazy with the olive oil spray to add fat, but this is about getting the taste and not the calories. About living with dietary restrictions and finding a way to get what you crave without harming your body. Seriously... is there anything better to snack on?

PS: FOLLOW STEP #1!


Sharing on This Chick Cooks.

4 comments:

  1. These sound great and I haven't tried poppers in an age. I have to give yours a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um I think you're missing the most important step to any popper: WRAP. IN. BACON. This may add some calories. Also, never worn gloves making my incredibly unhealthy poppers, and never had a problem. I am tougher than you. Except for the fumes that make me cough, gag, and cry while seeding the peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoked cream cheese sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Favorite Things Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop at Katherines Corner. Hugs and smooches and wishes for a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...