Monday, June 6, 2011

Sugar-Free Whole-Wheat Chocolate Eclair Dessert

 One of the things I love most about my friends is their love of food. We had a wonderful girls night this weekend and it was highlighted with food. An amazing strawberry, candied almond salad with goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette sat alongside whole wheat pasta with spinach artichoke sauce and sauted mushrooms. (I'll be dreaming about that salad until i recreate it for lunch later this week.)
But my favorite part of the night was making and devouring the dessert.

This was inspired by my mom's Eclair Dessert that is literally demanded at holiday functions.
Seriously, I think the family would make her sit outside with the snowmen if she forgot it.
Anyway, hers was nearly sugar free and phenomenal, but I am competitive, so I took it a few steps further.
Sugar-Free Whole Wheat Chocolate Eclair Dessert
1 cup water, boiling
My favorite way to eat it is with a dusting of cocoa powder.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
4 eggs
8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
1 package Cheesecake flavored instant sugar-free pudding
1 package White Chocolate flavored instant sugar-free pudding
3 cups milk
8 ounces sugar-free whipped topping
Cocoa powder or sugar free chocolate syrup
Also delicious with sugar-free caramel sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Stir water, butter and flour together. Add eggs one at a time, stir until blended, but don't over mix. Pour into a 9x13 glass pan and bake for 30 minutes. Crust will be bumpy. Prick any massive bumps with a fork. Let cool.

Cream the cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is smooth. I know it sounds silly, but it's a texture thing, and it really helps make it velvety. Add pudding mixes, one packet at a time. Slowly add the milk, one cup at a time, making sure to mix out any lumps. Pour over the cooled crust. Top with thawed whipped topping. Cut into 15 pieces to help with that self control and portion thing
Dust with cocoa powder or drizzle with chocolate syrup just before serving. Carmel syrup is also very good.

If you are able to resist the temptation to eat the whole pan, a single serving will cost you a measly 155 calories. I'm not sure my doctor would endorse this, but uhhh... milk, carb.... I'm thinking this could be a great breakfast when topped with a little banana. Yeah? Hmmm... might be pushing it, so I'll stick with the "girls need dessert to live" excuse.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. How great to have a girls' night :) That eclair dessert looks mouth-wateringly good. Thanks for coming by to share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a great weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, this looks amazing. If only I could figure out a way to make it dairy free too. Then I could have some. But in the meantime I'll share this with my family. thank you for sharing. Big Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! This looks fantastic! Adding this to my recipe file! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...