Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hot or Cold Ginger Shrimp Salad

I never thought that I would become as obsessed with food as I have lately. Everywhere I look I am inspired and the collection of recipes waiting to be made is piling up quickly. Seriously, getting through the grocery store with me right now is impossible because I want to look at everything.
Next to the natural foods store, one of the greatest sources of inspiration recently has come from the blogging community. The shear genius that is out there in Blogland blows my mind.
I've said it before, but my goal in posting and sharing recipes on this blog is to help those with reactive hypoglycemia find healthier meals. Obviously I want the masses to like them as well, but that's just because I'm a people pleaser.
 Anyway, you HAVE try this blog inspired dish....OMG...yum!

Ginger Shrimp Salad
Inspired by Shrimp & Noodles Bowls over at One Perfect Bite.
8 ounces soba noodles, cooked
1 pound cooked small shrimp
1 bag coleslaw mix
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
2/3 cup reduced-fat sesame ginger salad dressing
Marinate shrimp in dressing overnight. Mix everything together, toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Now for some learning...
Soba noodles are made from buckwheat. Soba contains all eight essential amino acids, including lysine, which is lacking in wheat. Soba contains a type of polysaccharide that is easily digested. Soba noodles also contain antioxidants and essential nutrients including choline, thiamine and riboflavin. Buckwheat contains no gluten. 
There are many types of soba noodles to choose from including:
Ni-hachi Soba: made of 2 parts of wheat and 8 of buckwheat
Juuwari Soba: the most expensive variety made entirely of buckwheat 
Sarashina Soba: thin, light-colored, made with refined buckwheat 
Inaka Soba: thick soba made with whole buckwheat


The husband also discovered that pan frying a scoop of this salad in a little oil is AMAZING! It was a brilliant move and 2 brag points have been awarded.
I truthfully can't decide if I like the hot or cold version better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...