Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dill Pickle Popcorn

For days I've been craving them...Dill....Pickle....Chips.
I love everything about those chips...except they aren't very good for me.
So I compromised with Dill Pickle Popcorn:



Dill Pickle Seasoning
3 tbsp dried dill
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
4 tbsp salt
Combine and pulse in the food processor (I used the Magic Bullet) until it is super fine. Use to season anything you want to taste pickle-icious!

Dill Pickle Popcorn
Spritzing vinegar over the air-popped popcorn first will help the seasoning stick and give it that wonderful tangy taste. Mixing with vinegar and pouring over the popcorn is a very bad idea! You end up with mega-seasoned landmines dispersed in the bowl. If you like landmines (or want to teach your kids to stay out of your bowl) have fun but personally I like consistency.  The best way to achieve that is with a mist. Pampered Chef makes a great spritzer that I use regularly with olive oil. If that's not an option, a spray bottle (like the type used to wet hair) can be used instead.
If you only want a hint of pickle, use a mist of olive oil instead.

Dill Pickle Dip
Mix with Plain Greek Yogurt for an incredible dip that is great with pretzels or veggies.
Why use Greek Yogurt? Because, it has all the benefits of a high-quality protein without the fat. Yup, you heard me right. You could count this as your protein! When comparing labels I found that the 8oz container of Greek yogurt had 3 grams more protein than a turkey dog! It also has fewer carbs than regular yogurt.
It's been a favorite snack of mine lately. The best flavor comes when it is allowed to sit overnight, so mix this up before bed and you'll be set for work the next day.
(Here is a great article about the nutritional benefits of Greek Yogurt, if you want to learn more.)

Burger Topping
I haven't tried this yet, but I have a hunch that the Dill Pickle Dip from above will be a great way to omit the cheese and add pickle flavor to a burger. I did try it on a turkey dog with a little ketchup and it was yummy! The creamy texture... the delicous pickleness...how could it be bad on a burger?


What would you put this seasoning on?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to use this to sprinkle on some salmon. I think this would make an excellent seasoning for any fish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...