Friday, January 28, 2011

The Glucose Tolerance Test is cruel and unusual punishment.

On my semi-annual check-up with my Endo we discussed my weight gain.
OK..ok..in all fairness it wasn't really "discussed". The doctor basically stated my new inflation and followed it up with a disapproving look. In my typical type-A I-must-please-everyone state I came back with a genius response, "I've been trying to diet and workout more, I'm just hungry all the time. Seriously I could sit down and eat half a pizza and have room for the other half in a few hours. I work all day, then take care of my daughter, then work some more. After all of that I am still hungry and just don't have the energy to get out there AND workout too."
Now I expected him to lecture me about the importance of prioritizing or slowing down because those as this is a recurring lecture I hear in my life. Instead he looked at my lab work and noted that my blood sugar was low at the time of the test. We talked about what I had eaten before the test (an English muffin with peanut butter and an amazingly large home brewed latte) and about how I was feeling (Hungry! What part of I'm always hungry don't you get). Then he signed me up for a 5 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. I had done the prego version with no problems so the only part of the conversation I really heard was "eat lots of carbs for 3 days" and "reactive hypoglycemia blah blah blah."
That test... that test was awful. Sure I was fine drinking that disgusting syrup, I earned the Chugging Gross Beverages badge in college. It was the 4th-6th blood draws that were horrible. I wanted to cry, and fight and sleep all at the same time. I wanted to tackle the people walking past me with lattes and muffins. My head hurt, I couldn't stop shaking and I couldn't see straight enough to read and distract myself. I have no words of wisdom other than to run away. The test is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...