Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fake Fancy Fish

My husband and daughter haven't fully converted to my Hypo menu, and sometimes it's nice just make my own thing. One of my favorites is Fake Fancy Fish.  I buy frozen Tilapia fillets from Walmart, 6 fillets costs me about $4. While you could use almost any fresh or frozen fish that is available, frozen works the best for me because of the convenience and Tilapia goes well with many flavors.

Fake Fancy Fish

1 frozen tilapia fillet
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs capers
salt and pepper
1/2 tbs lemon juice

Grab tilapia out of freezer, unwrap it (duh). Toss in a small saute pan with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat before you turn, season the other side and cook another 3-5 minutes. Now I have to warn you that the garlic likes to pop and I would highly recommend a splatter screen to protect yourself from garlic missiles.
It will start to flake when it's done. I generally get impatient and break it into pieces as I check it's flakiness. However, when the minutes of torture have subsided and the fish is done, toss in the capers and lemon juice.  Serve over 1/2 cup whole wheat noodles with a side of steamed spinach for a nice fancy presentation.
Seems fancy, but it's super simple and very delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...