Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

As I'm writing this I can tell you that it isn't really soup weather. The sky is clear of clouds and I sincerely hated the black leather seats as they scorched my skin. That said, I still want this soup. I want this spicy delicious goodness so much that I plan on making another batch, just to freeze and keep on hand.
Did I mention this is the easiest soup I have ever made, and it is also pretty darn healthy.

 
Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
1 can fat free chicken broth 
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can yellow, no sugar added, corn
1 small can diced green chiles
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup shredded (or chopped) carrots
1.5 pounds chicken breast, no skin, chopped
6 oz low fat cheddar cheese, cubed
1 cup fat free sour cream
Combine everything but the cheese and sour cream into a crockpot. Cook on low heat for 4 hours or so until the chicken is cooked through.
Stir in the cheese and sour cream, heat another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
This version is very mild, I like to add Siracha or hot sauce to my bowl before devouring and licking the bowl clean. 

This makes a lot of soup, in fact when I first saw how much it made I was a bit nervous we wouldn't be able to finish it.  After sharing with friends I was still able to sneak it for lunch several days in a row before my family had a chance at the leftovers.

I mentioned it was healthy. Not only did I find this soup filling, it is also low cal, and pretty low fat. Obviously cutting out the cheese would make a difference here, but the Minnesotan in me couldn't do it.
Here is the nutrition info based on the ingredients I used:
1 recipe makes 9 servings.

Calories                          193.6
Total Fat                         3.2 g
  Saturated Fat                1.4 g
  Polyunsaturated Fat       0.4 g
  Monounsaturated Fat     0.7 g
Cholesterol                      55.7 mg
Sodium                            767.6 mg
Potassium                        326.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate          14.0 g
Dietary Fiber                    2.3 g
Sugars                              3.8 g
Protein                             24.7 g

Vitamin A         42.7 %            Vitamin B-12       6.9 %          Vitamin B-6       23.2 %
Vitamin C         11.4 %            Vitamin D            0.0 %          Vitamin E           1.2 %
Calcium           15.6 %             Copper               3.0 %           Folate                5.5 %
Iron                 5.7 %               Magnesium          7.9 %          Manganese         4.3 %
Niacin             45.0 %             Pantothenic Acid  8.8 %          Phosphorus        26.4 %
Riboflavin        8.5 %               Selenium               24.0 %       Thiamin              5.2 %
Zinc                7.3 %

1 comment:

  1. I started taking bovine thyroid supplements because I had hypothyroidism. Often times my body was very low but bovine help me get through the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...