Monday, July 25, 2011

Vegetable Mind Games - Creamy Spinach

Back again with spinach, why? Because it is super healthy. Duh.
When someone first mentioned Creamed Spinach to me, I have to admit that I turned up my nose. It didn't sound appealing in anyway and I honestly have no idea what made me decide to try it.
Perhaps I figured that it wasn't a big loss if it failed. After all a bag of spinach is fairly cheap, so if it bombed I could throw it away guilt free.

Well, we definately did not throw it away. In fact, my husband stole my test version so I made another batch. Plus I picked up more spinach to make it again this week. Let me introduce you to my new comfort food:



Creamy Spinach with Garlic
1 tbs garlic, minced
1 tbs olive oil  
1 bag (10 oz) fresh spinach
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1 tablespoon garlic power
2 tbs Parmesan
1/8 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute garlic and add in handfuls of spinach, allowing them to wilt before adding another. Once all the spinach is in the pan, reduce the heat, add in sour cream, seasonings and Parmesan. Remove from heat and let rest a minute before serving.

Compared to classic Creamed Spinach that can cost you as much as 280 points and 23 grams of fat, 15 of that are from saturated fat, this is so much better for you. I do have the benefit of not ever having the calorie laden version, so I'd love to know how they compare and if this really can quench that craving.

This recipe was divided into 3 one cup servings. One cup of cooked spinach is equal to 2 vegetable servings.
A serving of this delicious Creamy Spinach will also cost you 1.5 fat and your free exchange.
Calories     123.5
Total Fat     7.1 g
     Saturated Fat     2.7 g

     Polyunsaturated Fat     0.8 g
     Monounsaturated Fat     3.3 g
Cholesterol     6.7 mg
Sodium     312.4 mg
Potassium     550.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate     9.3 g
     Dietary Fiber     2.9 g
     Sugars     3.1 g
Protein     8.4 g


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...