Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hypo Swedish Meatballs

This post should really be called Cheater Cheater Meatball Eater. Let me tell you why...
I currently work full time, I also run a one parent household and operate a design business on the side. When I'm not doing all that I volunteer for Bountiful Baskets, my daughter's school and blog about what I manage to make that supports my restricted diet.  I'm just a teeny bit busy.  I always strive to stay away from processed goods, but sometimes the semi-homemade route is necessary with my schedule.
Processed meat is one thing I don't like to eat but I appreciate it for the time it saves me. It's kinda like the dentist, I don't like to go there, but I appreciate things like having a clean mouth free of disease.
I'm sure most people wouldn't compare these Turkey Meatballs to a trip to the dentist...but I'm not most people. For this recipe you can use store bought meatballs or you can make your own.


Healthy Swedish Meatballs
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsps dried parsley
2 teaspoons Worcestershire 
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tbsp sugar-free seedless lingonberry jam (I couldn't find it so I used strawberry)
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.In a separate bowl, whisk broth and flour and add to the pan along with the meatballs and seasonings including the Worcestershire. Bring to a simmer and cook until the meatballs are heated through and the sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat. Add sour cream, jam, and salt and pepper to taste stir until combined.

Now on to the nitty gritty. In general a serving of Swedish Meatballs will cost about 400 calories. Obviously this varies from dish to dish, but the consistent part is the high levels of saturated fat. You all know I am more concerned with saturated fat than I am with calories, after all calories equal energy and as long as you are burning what you eat... well whatever. Anyway, my version adds way more mushrooms than most because I like 'em. Oh, and they are good for you, so eat 'em.  This dish is also waaaay too high in sodium to be eaten on a regular basis. You can (and should) swap out the meatballs I used with some of your own or some low sodium turkey ones (if that exists). Making them yourself will cut the sodium easily in half and get you back on track.
Here are the results of this recipe using the standard meat size portions for dinner. (For me that was 2 and a half meatballs.)


Calories 280.4Total Fat 10.4 g, Saturated Fat 3.1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g,  Monounsaturated Fat 4.0 g, Cholesterol 40.3 mg, Sodium 1,270.2 mgPotassium 372.9 mg , Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g, Dietary Fiber 5.1 g, Sugars 9.5 g, Protein 19.4 g

So, on final review. THESE ARE SO GOOD!!! These are great for those on the Swank Diet as well as those with diabetes or hypoglycemia. Those of us with hypoglycemia need to pair it with a carb like noodles or my Mashed Broccoflower. Also, please watch your sodium intake. Your average daily intake of sodium should be no more than 2,300 and unfortunately you can't just flush it out with extra water. Your kidneys can only filter out a little at a time so keep your intake low with the remaining foods you consume.
So, silly question... I grew up with the meatballs and mashed potatoes, but I saw a lot of recipes during my research that served these with noodles. What is the proper way, or what do you like Swedish Meatballs served with?
___________________________________________________________
Shared on: Thriving on Thursdays,Thursday Favorite Things

1 comment:

  1. I dub these saucy balls of awesomeness. They are so good. I need to go home and make some right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...