Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The War on Beans is Over

Anyone that knows me knows that I HATE beans. Yes, hate is a strong word and it is a fitting word as well.  The thing is...mom was right. "I know you don't like it, but you still need to try it." is what she'd tell me. I get it now, and I'm sorry for all those temper tantrums. 
At our last blogger night we tackled garlic and I was thrilled until I found out she was making bean dip. BLECH. With the words of my mother like an air horn in my head, I tried it and it was AMAZING. I mean it when I say that it was life changing. I see beans in a new light and it is the most delicious light there is.
It's important to continue trying those things you shouldn't hate in different ways. I taught myself to like tomatoes through another friends amazing bruschetta. Allowing the tomato to be overwhelmed by other flavors worked. I still don't eat it plain like my daughter... oooo except for those delicious cherry tomatoes. HAHAHA. Do you hear me? A few years ago I couldn't be paid to eat them.
My point is...continue to try them. Maybe you drown it in garlic until you adapt, at least you are adapting.

So without further ado please say hello to my friend, guest blogger and the lady who put an end to my War on Beans, Bree from Three and a Half Stones to Go.

Hello Everyone! I'm very excited to be blogging here today. Melissa has been an inspiration to me and has inspired me to eat healthier. Even though I don't have MS, I've even been following the Swank Diet myself and I can tell you that so far I feel amazing. I feel like my body is running better than it has in a long time. Because of this I am sharing one of my favorite swank friendly recipes. This bean dip is so creamy and rich tasting that you'd never believe it was low fat!


I have to give you one teensy little warning: Raw garlic is potent! Add at your own risk! Since I have Melissa completely obsessed with The Vampire Diaries (100% Team Damon over here), we decided to make our recipes garlic infused this time around. You can use the base of this recipe to create your own dip (like the southwest version I made for my blog), but here is the garlic version:

Creamy Garlic Bean Dip
  • 16oz Fat Free Sour Cream (make sure you get a sour cream that contains a binding agent or it separates)
  • 2 15oz cans of white beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 4-5 green onions (sliced)
  • 1 head of roasted garlic
  • ½ – 3 cloves of raw garlic (½ clove is enough to bring out that bright garlic flavor, 3 if you want tons of flavor and to ostracize yourself from civilization for a week)
  • ¼ cup low fat mozzarella
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients together, except for the mozzarella, saving a few green onions for garnish. I used an immersion blender to make it even creamier. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and cover with the mozzarella. Bake for 15-20 minutes until it is warmed through and the cheese has melted.

Use your favorite low fat chip or vegetables to dip and enjoy! And remember when the garlic overwhelms you how many great anti-oxidants are in there.


Thanks Bree! This amazing dip is the perfect stepping stone to incorporating beans into more of my recipes. I've been dreaming of using this as a pizza sauce since the second bite.  Be sure to stop by her site and show her some blogger love. 

7 comments:

  1. I was married to a Lebanese guy and his family made a garlic sauce that gave you a next-day hangover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! I can't decide if I want to try something like that or take an oath that I will never let my garlic habit reach that level. I'm leaning more towards try it though :D

      Delete
  2. Found you on Thursday Favorite Things, this sounds awesome. I think I will be making this for the next event I go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how quickly it is devoured or if you find any other fun variations :)

      Delete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING!!!! I had it sans cheese with Melissa last night...on pizza even and it was sooooo good that I even dreamed about it. I highly recommend this as I do with everything she makes when I come over and she starts with "I was thinking about trying to make this. I don't know if it will turn out but I have a back-up plan in the freezer." We have never needed the back up plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eating the leftover pizza for lunch, it's cold and delicious and I think I might make another one on Tuesday night. Thanks for embracing my frequent experiments :)

      Delete
  4. well yummy, garlic. Goood, beans, Goood! giggle. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...