Friday, March 18, 2011

Kimchi Pancakes

If someone had told me years ago that I would make a pancake with fermented cabbage in it I would have laughed at them and unfreinded them on Facebook. "Oh yeah!!! How about YOU go eat a fermented cabbage pancake!"

But age has made me open and curious to foods from other cultures, and after giving it a chance I can tell you that Kimchi is pretty darn good.
I don't have the desire to make my own yet, especially not when I can justify a trip to the Asian market to pick some up from the deli. Someday I'm sure I will get that itch and I'll let you know if that happens.
Anyway, Kimchi is good on its own, but I really like Kimchi Pancakes. My friend George and his wife Anne introduced them to me. They ordered one with me at at restaurant once and it was huge! Literally it took up the whole plate and was loaded with kimchi and seafood.
Since then I knew I wanted to make them, but it became a priority when I learned how good kimchi was for me.
Health magazine named kimchi in its list of top five "World's Healthiest Foods" for being rich in vitamins, aiding digestion, and even possibly reducing cancer growth. It also contains a high concentration of dietary fiber and is low in calories. Plus, a serving provides up to 80% of your daily vitamin C and carotene, it's rich in vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, calcium, and iron. Check out their article here!

The Hypo Girl's Kimchi Pancakes
1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
1/2 cup reserved juice from kimchi (if you can't get a full half cup, dilute with water to get enough liquid)
1 cup whole wheat flour (I personally like the King Arthur brand)
2 eggs
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Stir together the kimchi, kimchi juice, flour, eggs, and green onion in a bowl. Spray skillet with olive oil and heat to medium. Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour into skillet. Spread as thin as possible. Cook pancakes until set and lightly browned then flip and repeat on the opposite side. Whisk together the rice vinegar and soy sauce to use for dipping. Serve with the pancakes.




This is a great meal to take to work. I make a triple batch and freeze whatever isn't eaten for dinner. At the office I can grab one out of the freezer and warm it in the microwave if I've forgotten lunch.
I count 2 pancakes as my carb, veggie serving and protein and round it out with a piece of fruit for a complete meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...