Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vegetable Mind Games- Return of the Butternut

I've been avoiding it... this vegetable that is actually a starch. I want to like it, but why would I give up pasta and rice to go with this thing instead?

The squash I picked up more than a month ago is still on the floor of my pantry. Not many things, human or otherwise, can say that they are more stubborn than me, but that damn squash has won.
So into the oven it went. Don't be alarmed, I chopped it to bite-sized pieces first.

This revisit was about roasting because I needed something that was warm and comforting.
Easy Roasted Butternut Squash 
1 Butternut Squash
Minimal olive oil
4 tablespoons garlic
4 tablespoons parsley
salt
pepper
Peel and chop squash into evenly sized pieces. Toss with a scant drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. You only need enough to barely coat the pieces.
Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes until a fork pierces a piece easily. Remove from oven.
Saute garlic and parsley with 2 tablespoons olive oil so it makes what seems like a paste.
Poor this paste on top of the roasted squash and toss to evenly cover all the pieces. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.


Obviously I made more than I was allowed to eat when I roasted that, so I had planned on making 2 different versions of Butternut Bisque. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I fell in love with the first one that I made. I immediately made a second serving of the same thing and shared it with the neighbor.

I love this recipe because it is uses a lot of free exchanges.
Curried Butternut Bisque (Hypo Style)

1 cup leftover roasted butternut squash (1 carb)
1 cup water (duh... free exchange)
1 tsp chicken boullion powder (free exchange)
2 tbs shredded unsweetened coconut flake (1 fat)
3 tsp chopped ginger from the jar (free exchange)
1/2 tbs curry (free exchange)
2 tsp cumin (free exchange)
1 tsp olive oil (1 fat)
Combine leftover squash and water in a blender. I used the Magic Bullet and it was indeed magical. Blend until it resembles baby food and there are no visible chunks. Heat the ginger and coconut in olive oil in a small sauce pan for a few minutes.  Pour in the squash blend. Add boullion, curry, cumin and stir until heated through.
Serve with 1 tbs fat free sour cream (free exchange) and enjoy.

Next time I make this for myself I will try to make it a full meal. I think I'll incorporate steamed chicken, carrots, celery and bean sprouts into the mix.  

I already admitted defeat to the Butternut, but I'm actually happy about this.  I finally have a recipe with this mighty foe that is worth sharing. Plus, it is low calorie, and it is a good source of fibre, vitamin C, manganese, magnesium, and potassium. It is also an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...