Monday, December 12, 2011

Turkey & Stuffing Meatballs with Cranberry Sauce

Blogger nights are so much fun for me. I get to see a great friend, make delicious food, enjoy (a few too many) drinks and share our great discoveries with you lovely people. This month was all about appetizers and while we wrestled with the names (all of which are too horrible to repeat) we dominated on the dishes. Ok...ok...as far as the name of our event, I think we settled on Skinnytizers...don't judge, the other ones were much worse.

Bree over at Three and a Half Stones to Go made these spicy garlic shrimp things that I am remaking for dinner one night this week. She also made this delicious veggie cup with low fat feta and basil. Be sure to stop over and give her some blogger love.

In honor of my love of Thanksgiving food (and holiday food because to me the holidays are just an excuse to make more Thanksgiving food) I decided to mix all the flavors of the meal into an easy to share appetizer. I also made this AMAZING smoked cream cheese which you'll hear about later this week.

Anyway on to the deliciousness...

Turkey & Stuffing Meatballs with Cranberry Sauce
1 cup low sugar cranberry juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 packet plain gelatin

3 egg whites
1 package cornbread stuffing mix
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup celery
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 lb. ground turkey
For the sauce:
Bring cranberry juice to a boil. Dissolve brown sugar into juice. Remove from heat and stir in the gelatin, then the orange juice. Put in the freezer to get a nice quick chill and allow the mixture to solidify slightly.
Preheat oven to 375˚F. In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape into 1" balls or take the cheater route and use an ice cream scoop. Place these on a greased cookie sheet. (I like to cover the pan in tin foil to make clean up easier.) Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned. Serve the yummy balls topped with the cranberry sauce or alongside it like I did for easy dipping.

It tastes like the holidays but waaaaaay fewer calories.
This recipe made about 60 meatballs and each meatball with sauce counts for about 40 calories. The best part is how incredibly low the fat content it. Total fat is .4 grams per meatball and only .1 grams of saturated fat. You'd also count this as a carb and protein serving so make sure you mix in a side of roasted veggies if you are looking for the full meal effect.

What sort of meal revisions are you making to help you survive the holidays in the same pant size?

I take part in Simply Indulgent Tuesdays.

3 comments:

  1. I want this. Oh how I want this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I am sure I would love these!
    I am blog hopping & following you from Katherine's Corner. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/. Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...